Buying used furniture has its own benefits. The furniture is cost-effective as it is sold at a much lesser value than the actual price. Also, high-quality brands can also be bought at a much affordable price. The money saved by buying the refurbished or used furniture can be used to customize the furniture according to one’s own use. But the refurbished or the old furniture has more cons than the pros. Following is a list of reasons why one should not buy the old furniture as it will cost you more in the long run.
- No warranty or return policy: Most of the used furniture will be sold as it is and thus the new customer will not be offered any service plan or warranty. Warranties are either expired or are non-transferable after the transactions are made. Hence, it will become difficult for the buyer to get it replaced or repaired in case of any damage or wrong size. However, if one buys new furnishings then he will be offered a minimum of 6 months warranty which will help him to get it repaired in case of any damage.
- Condition: It is, obviously, risky to buy the used furniture as it may be damaged or needs repair which might cost you even more than the cost of the new one. Thus, the customer becomes uncertain about the quality and durability of the product. The furniture might also have some damage which you don’t know beforehand and hence will take up more of your money. Most of the furnishings are made up of wood and with the passage of time, there is a high risk of them being attacked with termites. Then, you will have to invest your time and money in repairing and cleaning up the damages. There might not be serious damage to the product, but there will always be some blemishes, scratches or scuffs on the product.
- Longevity: The old furniture must have gone through a lot of wear and tear and hence, you’ll be required to replace it much sooner than the new furnishings. Even the best of woods has a shelf life of 10-15 years and buying old furniture will automatically give you a product with a lesser shelf life as it might have already been depreciated. Since it is a product with a lesser shelf life left, it will be more prone to breakage and thus might potentially cause injury. You will definitely not want you and your family to get scratched or fall on the ground and hurt their back or butt. This will not only cost you the price of buying the new furniture, but you will also have to pay the hospital bills.
- Incompatible: The furniture that you bought might be incompatible to the furniture that you already have. You might want to get it painted to the exact same color as of the previous furniture or you would want to replace all of your furniture again and this will cost you even more. Also, the old furniture might be small, and you would then have to buy more furniture, adding to the overall cost.
- Limited Quantity, less choice and old pattern: If the quantity is less than what one actually wants, buying old furniture can create a mismatched look with regard to the previously present furnishings and hence the customer would have to compromise. This will then lead to the replacement of all the furniture costing you a humongous amount of money. Due to the limited amount of quantity, one has a lesser number of choices to select from. You might not get the exact color and size of the furnishing for your place to get it coordinated with the previously present furnishings. Also, the old furniture will definitely be of a pattern which is not much used now and hence will not look good with your modern furnishings. This will instigate you to buy new furnishings and thus making a hole in your pants.
- Not as aesthetically pleasing: The furniture that you buy must be presentable, but the old furniture doesn’t look very appealing because of the wear and tear it has gone through and this is not a good option to be considered. It additionally doesn’t have the rich tones and delightful styles that the high-quality piece of furniture items usually features. It will prompt you to buy new and aesthetically pleasing furniture which will cost you even more.
- Discomforting: The most appealing furniture is the one which is the most discomforting. There are furnishings that look good, but once you start using them, they prove to be a pain in the ass. Old sofas and couches might have become slouchy with their usage, and thus are not a good option to invest your money into. The discomfort that they offer you can’t be matched by anything and thus one should keep them away from such furnishings.
- Bugs: Yes bugs thrive on used furniture and carrying a piece of old furniture might not only spread the bugs all around your house but will also be a place for other infestation.
Buying the used furniture is like a game of gambling. You might get lucky to get great furniture with high quality and a gently used piece but you might also end up with a furnishing that is highly damaged. Thus, noting the above-mentioned reasons, stick to buying new furniture pieces. Knowing that it is backed by a vendor and offers you a warranty makes it worth the buy. Also, you will be surprised to know there will not be much difference in the price of the new and the old piece of furnishing. Even now, if you wish to buy the used furnishings because of some reasons, then always check for all the points mentioned and if you find that the piece is worth the buy then you can buy it and get lucky. However, such situations are rare to occur.